Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Cover Letter


Dear_____,

     If you are reading this I have completed my English115 Approaches to University Writing class and this is my cover letter. I will have you know, prior to my coming to college, I did not like english courses very much. In high school the readings were dry, the essays were pointless, and the assignments were tedious; I never looked forward to an english class. Taking English115 Approaches to University Writing changed my negative outlook on english classes and writing. 
Throughout the semester we had multiple assignments that taught various skills that would help increase the quality of our writing. One of the first assignments we received was to read a few short stories then do a brainstorming exercise. We had to then choose two methods of brainstorming and use them to brainstorm about our upcoming paper. At first I expected the readings to be boring, but to my surprise, I found them to be quite entertaining. For the first time, I did not dread doing my english homework and actually looked forward to having class. From this assignment onward I loved the class. I loved how we would discuss and write about interesting topics such as: technology, the college transition, and movies. All of the corse work was fun and not a pain to do, mostly because of our great professor, Professor Rowley. Professor Rowley is one of the main reasons I now love english class. Her fun and passionate attitude toward the subject made it an enjoyable class. She demonstrated a great knowledge of the subject and taught it in a way that we could easily understand it. 
In the time I was in this class I greatly improved my writing. When Professor Rowley introduced the Sheridan Baker Thesis Machine a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders. It gave me steps to follow to more easily create a thesis. For me, beginning the essay is the hardest part so this really helped me. We wrote three essays this semester and I did not mind writing any of them. 
This letter is now coming to a close and as the end draws near I can reflect on what I have learned and how much I have grown. In one semester I've gone from having no interest in the subject, to looking forward to english class, from writing only five paragraph essays, to writing multiple page, interesting, argumentative essays. 

Sincerely,
  Benjamin S Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment